Fur coats have long been considered the most formal type of outerwear, but over the past few decades it’s become much more accepted to wear them in different, casual ways. If you’re in need of some different styling ideas for your fur coat, look no further!
1. Traditionally. In the past, fur jackets were typically worn with evening wear on special occasions. This is something that still holds true today, and you can’t deny the glamorous feel of a fur jacket paired with an evening dress. To make the look more contemporary, choose a slinky slip dress or even a ‘le smoking’ style suit.
2. Casually. Yes, fur can also be casual! Or at least used to elevate a casual outfit. Just throw yours over your favorite jeans and sweater. Your shoes/accessories will really set the tone of the outfit. If you want to go full casual, wear sneakers and perhaps a beanie. If you want to be a bit more dressy, choose boots. Ankle boots are always a safe bet, but over the knee boots will add a sexy and elegant feel.
3. Edgy. Use your fur jacket to unleash your inner glam rock star. Channel Mick Jagger and pair your fur jacket with leather trousers and some killer boots. Or take a leaf from Kate Moss’s book and throw your fur jacket over a vintage dress, ripped jeans, or a mini skirt/dress.
4. Vintage-inspired. Nothing says elegant and ladylike like a beautiful fur jacket. Think Margot from The Royal Tenenbaums and wear your fur jacket over a tailored dress or blouse/skirt set. Slide on some smart pumps or loafers and make sure your hair is in place and you’ll definitely be the most prim and proper lady in the room.
5. Smart/tailored. Trick the crowds into thinking you’re a top fashion editor and go for a smart/minimal inspired look. Style your fur jacket with an elegant blouse, tailored trousers, slick ankle boots and some stylish sunglasses (weather permitting). Bonus points for a slick ponytail or impeccable bob a la Anna Wintour.
These days the sky really is the limit when it comes to styling fur coats (some rappers even wear theirs with track suits!), so get creative this winter and feel free to wear your fur coat with everything.